Categories
Satellites Space

Vodacom Tanzania will use Eutelsat Konnect to provide service

Eutelsat has inked a new deal with a large telecommunications company, this time in Africa. Eutelsat has inked a service contract with Vodacom Tanzania for the packaged services to bring the connection to underserved areas of Tanzania, leveraging Eutelsat’s Eutelsat KONNECT high-throughput satellite, following a recent arrangement with Deutsche Telecom. The agreement was announced on December 2nd.

Vodacom Tanzania, a subsidiary of the Vodafone Group in the United Kingdom, has over 15 million consumers in Tanzania. It was established in the year 2000. Vodacom will commercialize operations on Eutelsat KONNECT spacecraft under its brand following a successful trial, expanding its service offering to clients previously unreachable by its current infrastructure, particularly in the B2B as well as hospitality verticals. On behalf of Vodacom, Eutelsat affiliate Konnect Africa will provide installation services.

“We are excited to add satellite to our range of services, utilizing the cutting-edge Eutelsat KONNECT satellite to help us achieve our goal of providing connection to all of Tanzania.” Vodacom will cover the entire country with KONNECT, connecting all areas, districts, and villages, no matter how far apart they are. In a statement, Sitholizwe Mdlalose, who serves as the managing director (MD) of Vodacom Tanzania, said, “With this solution, we will connect everyone, including places that are not currently covered, enabling access to services of a maximum of 100 Mbps.”

Tanzania’s major cellular network company is Vodacom Tanzania Limited. Vodacom Tanzania had more than 15.6 million clients as of December 2020, making it Tanzania’s largest wireless telecommunications network. After Vodacom, Vodacom Tanzania is the second telecom carrier in Africa to launch 3G High-Speed Downlink Packet Access (HSDPA), which was initially only accessible in Dar Es Salaam in early 2007.

The company was founded in late 1999 as an affiliate of Vodacom, a South African telecommunications company. Vodacom Tanzania was founded as a partnership between the Vodacom Group, which controlled about 65 percent, and Tanzanian stockholders, including Mirambo Holdings, who owned the remaining 35 percent.

The company finished its GSM infrastructure by August 2000 and went operational on August 14, 2000. On August 15, 2000, Vodacom Tanzania officially launched its commercial operations. Within a year of its inception, Vodacom Tanzania became the country’s largest mobile operator, and it continues to be the country’s top mobile communications network provider to this day.

Many mobile network operators throughout the world have active roaming arrangements with the company, including T-Mobile USA in the U.S., Vodafone Limited in the U.K. , and Vodafone India in India.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.